So, as I mentioned in my previous post, Joe and I actually made two pizzas last night because we couldn’t decide which pizza sounded better – a white pizza or a Thai Shrimp. This post is for our white pizza which had sautéed spinach, carmelized onions, and roasted garlic. It was so good I actually ate it cold for lunch today – didn’t have the patience to warm up the oven!
- 1 package fresh wheat pizza dough
- 1/2 bag of spinach
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 heads of garlic
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup shredded pecorino romano
- 1/4 cup goat cheese – I had this, but forgot to add – too much going on.
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt/ pepper
- red pepper flakes – about a teaspoon
1) Preheat oven to 400. Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper on the rolled out pizza dough. Before you roll out dough, make sure it’s at room temp. or it won’t roll out as thin as you may want it. This is where I also like to add a pinch or so of red pepper flakes – it adds a great flavor with the white pizza.
2) Cook pizza dough for approximately 10-12 minutes or just until golden brown.
3) In the meantime, roast the garlic. To prepare the garlic, cut off the top so all the cloves are exposed. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, cover with foil, then place in oven (at the same time as the dough) for approximately 25 minutes – just until lightly browned.
4) For the onions, slice thinly into half moons. Then add to saute pan with 2-3 tbls warm olive oil. Don’t forget to season the onions with salt and pepper – it helps sweeten their taste. Continue to cook on medium to low heat stirring frequently so as not to burn the onion. It may take about 20-25 minutes until they turn a light brown. Some recipes call for sugar, but I skip this ingredient. When done, place on plate with paper towel to strain of any extra oil.
5) Sautee the spinach with about 1 tbls of olive oil. This doesn’t take long – only about 2 minutes. Make sure you are almost ready to start assembling your pizza before finishing this step.
6) Begin assembling pizza! Start with a thin layer of ricotta, then layer the other cheeses. Lastly I top with the spinach, roasted garlic, and carmelized onions.
7) Heat in oven until cheeses begin to melt – about 4-5 minutes.