My husband and I just got back from a wonderful weekend in NYC! We went into New York for a couples cooking class at the Institute of Culinary Education. Our chef instructor was James Biscione. He looked really familiar to me and then half way through the class I found out he was on a few episodes of Chopped. He won his first show during season 1 and then in season 2 they brought back all the winners for a tournament and he wo that too! If you’ve never watched the show, you really should – they give these contestants the most bizarre ingredients to work with, so it’s fun to watch what they come up with.
On our couples cooking class menu:
1) Smoked Salmon Pizza – turned out fabulous! I’ve never made my own dough, but it was surprisingly easy. Might have to be a new St. Patty’s day recipe.
2) Goat Cheese and Roasted Veggie Sandwich – the goat cheese was really creamy and delicious. This would be perfect for an appetizer or afternoon lunch.
3) Roasted Rack of Lamb – My husband loved it, but I don’t eat red meat. I did have some potatoes that were roasted in the same pan though, and they were incredible.
4) Pan Seared Flounder with Green Pea Puree and Mushroom broth- we were in charge of the green pea puree and it was delicious. Think mashed potatoes but with peas. I really liked the mushroom broth too – it helped keep the fish really moist.
5) Glazed Root Vegetables – these were wonderful too. I’ve never glazed vegetables before, but essentially cooking them in water with butter, sugar, and salt and as the water evaporates you’re left with a shiny coating of all the good stuff.
6) Butter Bean Pasta with Pancetta – Oh my goodness, definitely one of my favorites. This was delicious ( I ate around the pancetta of course). The butter beans (aka lima beans) were infused with the white wine and rosemary from the sauce. Such an easy dish, and everyone loved it.
7) Lemon Mousse with Marinated Strawberries. Joe and I were also in charge of the lemon mousse. It was a little tricky and the Chef had to step in and save the day. The mousse turned out great though. I’ll let you know if we actually end up trying this at home!
Send me a message if you want any of these recipes! I have them all printed out 🙂