Yesterday we finally got a good snow here in CT! It was the kind of snow that sticks to everything, so it felt like we were in a winter wonderland. We ended up getting just over 7 inches – definitely the most we’ve had all winter. I always love a really good snow. There’s just something so exciting and peaceful – and it makes me want to curl up with a really good chili. Since I don’t really eat red meat, I made this one with roasted chicken – it’s probably healthier anyways.
2 breasts (white meat) from 1 whole roasted chicken – mine was store bought
2 14oz. cans diced tomatoes – low sodium
1 14oz. can black beans
1/2 large yellow onion diced
1/2 jalapeno – diced
2 Tbs. Chili Powder
1/2 Tbs. Cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
3 Tbs. Worcestishire – approximately (may want to taste as you add)
2 cloves garlic minced
1 pepper – I used 1/2 red and 1/2 green
Shredded Cheese – any type – to top with (optional)
Sliced Green Onions – to top with (optional)
1) Sautee onion and garlic (with dash of salt/ pepper) over medium high heat until just cooked through – about 5 minutes. Add jalapeno and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes until peppers are tender.
2) Add cooked chicken, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and worchesteshire. Mix and let cook slightly for 1 minute.
3) Add tomatoes and another pinch of salt. Cook on medium/ low heat for 15 minutes
4) Add black beans and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes. I like to add the beans last because they tend to be delicate.
5) Serve with your choice of toppings – cheese, green onions, and toasted bread.