Pizza is the one food I’m not sure I could give up. Really, I love it! The smell of warm, crusty dough and the taste of the mozarella cheese that just starts to brown – it’s so good. The only downfall is pizza isn’t always considered a healthy meal, which is why I’ve started creating my own with fresh, good for you ingredients. Last night we couldn’t decide what kind of pizza we were in the mood for, so we made two! One was a Thai Shrimp Pizza with Plum Sauce and the other was a White Pizza with Spinach, Carmelized Onions, and Roasted Garlic – I’ll get to the white pizza soon. Both were awesome and hopefully much healthier than anything we could have ordered at a restaurant.
Here’s a look at them both.
You’ll notice in the picture, we used the bottom of cookie sheets as our pizza pan. It’s a great solution if you don’t have a pizza pan.
Thai Shrimp Pizza – Adapted from Rachel Ray
1) Preheat Oven to 400. Make sure pizza dough is at room temp – it will roll out much easier. Lightly flour before you roll the dough. Use a fork to make little pricks. Drizzle Extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper on the dough to give it a nice sheen. Place it on pizza pan (or back of cookie sheet) and cook in oven for 10 minutes or so – just until browning.
2) Meanwhile, marinate your shrimp (or chicken) in vegetable oil, soy sauce, and peanut butter. You may need to warm up the marinate so the peanut butter thins. You will also want to marinate your grated carrots in the red wine vinegar and honey. It sounds a little strange, but so good. You could also try cucumbers.
3) Once dough looks golden, remove from oven and let cool for a minute or two. Begin your layers. Start with the plum sauce on the bottom and then add your cheeses. Put back in oven until cheese starts to melt.
4) Sautee shrimp in sauce pan for about 2 minutes on each side. Be sure not to add extra marinade to the pan or it will really blacken your shrimp. Once cooked through until no longer opaque in center – cut into bite sized pieces.
5) Remove pizza from oven and continue adding your layers. Red peppers, shrimp, bean sprouts, grated carrots, scallions, and peanuts.
Enjoy! I’ll have the white pizza recipe up soon.